Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A List of Unfamiliar Products I Have Purchased (AKA: Make-up)

This is a part of the Primped to The Teeth series.  See what it is all about here.

I have always had a pretty uncomfortable relationship with make-up.  For one thing, my mother never wore it growing up, so I don't have memories of getting out her lipstick, etc.  I'm actually glad about this, because it means I wasn't raised thinking make-up was a daily requirement, even though it means I didn't really have any guidance on the topic.

There are so many reasons I don't wear it daily, and it's not my intention to start that now.  However, after years of not even owning make-up (let alone being confident in my skills to apply it), I decided it's time to take it it head on, and the first step was to buy some.

I considered going to a make-up counter or store for a professional opinion, but I quickly decided against this for a couple reasons:
  1. On the few occasions I have had my make-up done by consultants, I have always gone straight to the bathroom afterwards and taken half of it off (just because it seemed like way too much for me).  Then there was one consultant who did a terrible job matching my skin color (unless "face tans" are a "thing" I've never heard of).  Now, I am sure that there are fabulous consultants out there who could save me a lot of time and trouble, but I have trust issues.  
  2. I take an eclectic approach to everything in my life.  I like to pick and choose from different options to piece together a system that works for me.  Even the most talented and helpful consultant might have a certain line she would recommend, and I want all the options on the table.
For me, though, this was much more complicated than reading a few reviews online and then heading to the drugstore to pick some items up.  As much as possible, I wanted the make-up to be as natural and eco-friendly as possible.  This is a personal conviction for me, and since I don't plan on wearing make-up all the time, I figured I could afford to invest in some higher-quality make-up to ensure that I wasn't putting harmful chemicals on my skin or contributing to the exploitation of workers in a developing country.

Of course, it's very difficult to be 100% "safe" from these things (and no make-up is going to be perfect), but I wanted to give it my best shot.  I am slowly building up my make-up stash over time, mainly due to the expense.  Here is what I have settled on for now (items I have purchased already are crossed off):

Physician's Formula Organic Wear Tinted Moisturizer
The Body Shop Carbon Eye Definer - Brown 
The Body Shop Colour Crush Eyeshadow - (4 colors)  
Physician's Formula Organic Wear Mascara
Physician's Formula Organic Wear 2-in-1 Bronzer and Blush Rose
The Body Shop Love Gloss - Pale Pink
Physician's Formula Organic Wear Loose Powder
EcoTools Bamboo 6-Piece Make-Up Brush Set
Gussy Sews Large Zipped Pouch

For now, I am going to try it without concealer.  I am also going to DIY my own make-up remover.  I haven't tried any of the items I have purchased so far, as I am waiting for them all to do a full "makeover" (that sounds soooo weird to me).

So... yeah.  That's where things stand on the make-up front.  Slow and steady wins the race, right?   

4 comments:

  1. I do like Physician's Formula. I was going to get their B & B cream which moisturized, brightened, covered imperfections,ect, and had spf. I ended up going for another cream that was cheaper, but now I wish I had gotten Physician's for the sun protection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really liked that the tinted moisturizer had SPF protection (among other things). I've heard good things about PF, so it's nice to hear it from someone I know as well. =)

      Delete
  2. I'm also a big Physician's Formula fan! I'm going to look into The Body Shop products - I've been on the hunt for more natural make-up. Also, I use olive oil as eye make-up remover, and it works great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kari, great to hear you have had success with olive oil! I have also heard of people using coconut oil, so it looks like I have some options. The Body Shop really focuses on ethically-sourced ingredients, though their stuff isn't necessarily organic and only some of it is paraben-free (I had to read all the ingredient lists to make sure), but I think they are a great resource for natural make-up overall.

      Delete